Your Kids and Camp. Is Everyone Ready?
As summer rolls closer… here are questions to consider before you sign up for that camp, before you hire that nanny, before you take that vacation.
- What is the camp’s policy on training and screening volunteers and staff?
- Are the counselors and staff trained in CPR?
- Does the camp have a nurse or doctor on staff for emergencies?
- What is the reporting system for employees if something happens (abuse, suspicion or injury)
- What is their policy on how children are picked up and dropped off each day (ensuring the correct person is picking them up)?
- Do they have a policy on prohibiting alone (or closed door) one on one time between adult and child?
- Who will be caring for your child? Take time to meet the counselors and staff who will be watching your child.
- Ask to tour the facility.
- Check camp references.
- If transportation is provided, make sure the vehicle is properly outfitted with safety belts and up to date car seats.
- Check to see if there have been any complaints or write ups about the facility, from parents or the state agencies.
- How can your child contact you if they need to?
Want to know about Red Flags to watch out for? How about YOUR child’s readiness? Download the full safety Camp Safety Sheet Summer Camp Safety